Attorney & Counselor


Alabama Child Support Guidelines

In Alabama, child support is governed by Alabama Rules of Judicial Administration Rule 32 (A.R.J.A.). This is often referred to as the “Child Support Guidelines.” When determining the amount of child support owed whether in a divorce case or simply in a child support case, the court must apply the guidelines. The guidelines use an income share method to calculate child support. In other words, the guidelines provide that both parents shall contribute to the support of the children. The purpose of the guidelines is to assist the courts, lawyers, and parties in getting a more consistent determination of child support. Furthermore, there is a legal presumption that child support amount calculated based on the guidelines must be used and followed. However, the court can deviate from the guidelines for certain legal reasons.

Gross Income of Both Parties

With the income share method, the gross income of both parents are first computed. This total family gross income is used to calculate the basic child support obligation. However, each party can subtract out from their gross income any existing child support payments and periodic alimony payments.The total monthly child support amount is determined based on the revised gross income of both spouses and the number of children.

Work Related Child Care Costs and Health Insurance Costs

Added to the basic child support obligation is work related child care costs and health insurance costs.

Percentage of Total Income

Then, the total support figure is multiplied by the percentage of the total income of both the mother and father. The non-custodial parent pays his or her percentage of the total support of the other spouse.

Payment of Child Support

In Alabama child support payments can be made one of several different ways. Child support payments can be paid directly from one spouse to the other spouse. Child support payments can also be deducted out of the noncustodial parent's check through a withholding order issued by the court.

When you call, we will discuss your issue or problem. If you want to find out what your estimated child support could be just fill in the form below.

Thomas F. Monk
Monk Law Firm
1111 E I-65 Svc Rd. South, #112
Mobile, Alabama 36606
Phone: 251-650-4591
Fax: 866-299-1384
9AM - 5PM


Contact a Lawyer

This field is required. I need to ask who to speak too.

Phone Number is required so I can contact you.

Cannot enter a website url in this field.